Fancy Footwork in Social Dance
Proper footwork is essential for good form and style. Some general principles to develop good footwork include:
- Carry your weight more on the ball of your foot than on your heel.
- Align your feet so they are parallel to your partner’s feet. Your right foot should be pointed in between your partner’s feet. Take straight steps with your toes pointed straight ahead, either forward or backward.
- When stepping, the motion should originate from the hip, allowing the leg to swing freely from the joint.
- Don’t drag your feet. Take definite steps.
- If it’s a fast song, take shorter steps. If it’s a slow song, take longer steps.
- When you change directions, you will maintain your balance better if your feet are closer together.